Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Dying Breed

After two trips I had overseas where contact I had with the people involved was exceedingly more than the usual,I have come to find that members of the male population (not all though,this is just what I have observed) are becoming increasingly.. invalid.

The first trip, was my class trip to Singapore. Guys in PM(Pre-Medical) are more rare,thus only had a total of 8 guys in the class but only 6 went for the trip(and 1 only showed up for USS). Even if you guys were little in numbers, you could at least have shown a weeee bit more concern for your female classmates. I don't deny that you all can still be gentleman,with I remember at least 2 of you still willing to carry some of the girl's stuff and one of you occasionally made sure everyone was walking ahead and not too far behind the group. Yet, we all made a deal to meet up at Clarke Quay for dinner, and only 3 of us showed up. The guys had all decided to have a Japanese buffet instead. You said you did send an sms but it's either it didn't get through or it was an excuse. Never mind, the fault of technology then. I was not really mad about this, but someone was. Thankfully, this has been resolved the night itself. Then, there was the issue of clubbing. The people who wanted to go changed from "everyone" to noone then back to everyone and then in the end, it was just six girls. Sure you guys are tired and you have no interest but should have at least volunteered to see the girls to the MRT? And pick the two of us stranded at Clarke Quay from the station. (Our hostel was still quite a walk away from the nearest MRT station and it was nearing midnight when we got back). And then, the guys tried to seem more superior by taking the MRT to our bus pickup while the girls all took taxis. Made us all worry you guys wouldn't arrive in time. Sigh.

And the next trip was with my family. The men in my family either all seem oblivious to the fact that my mum and aunt were doing all the heavywork or they just took it for granted. Even after asking my bro to carry the groceries for my mum, he turned a blind eye. My mum, in exasperation, turned a blind eye. I feel so bad to my aunt and mum because they did most of the washing up and cooking. At least the rest of us managed to redeem ourselves by cooking dinner the last night,as mum and aunt went to meet a friend. Found out how lost the guys would be if mum wasn't around, or maybe even me.

I know how times are changing where women have risen up the social pyramid, becoming more independent and slowly overruling males but this isn't really a gender issue,more of one of morals and courtesy. Why wouldn't you not even bother to help a family member/friend carry heavy items or offer to accompany your friend who has to travel alone in the dark?

No comments: